COVID-19 Update and BC Events Rescheduled

To our Bird Center community and supporters:

The Bird Center of Washtenaw County would like to address the COVID-19 outbreak and our plan. Our clinic director and board members met on Saturday, March 14th, to discuss all options.

At this time we do not have active volunteers in the Center. We have two staff members and our director in the Center part-time tending to birds. We do not plan to start training volunteers or interns until mid to late April, when hopefully this virus slows down. Before our move back this week, we used an ozone neutralizer for sanitization and sterilization purposes. For 24 hours it cleansed the Center, and then we aired it out. Our birds are in a fresh, clean environment, as are the staff.

We will continue to follow all sanitation protocols in the Center over the next few months, however we are open to accept birds. This time of year is when we often see collisions and early hatchlings in need. Please call us if you need assistance – 734.761.9640. We will be going to full-time hours come mid-April. It is important for us to provide proper care for our current patients and any others in need.

We are following the City of Ann Arbor’s instructions to withhold any public event over 50 people until after April 6th. Most activities and events around the campus in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti are being suspended for 30 days.

Volunteer Orientation Rescheduled:

Our volunteer orientation originally scheduled for March 28th has been postponed and rescheduled for April 18th from 9:30am-12pm at the same location. All details can be found on our Facebook events page. We hope you can make this newly scheduled date. This date is set; however, it could change again if anything worsens/continues. We understand if you do not wish to attend. We are looking at ways to record the session and share the PowerPoint with those who are staying home for precautionary reasons.

Flyaway Fundraiser Rescheduled:

Our annual Flyaway Fundraiser originally scheduled for April 4th has been postponed and rescheduled for Sunday, April 26th, same time and location. All details can be found on our Facebook events page. If you cannot attend this event or do not wish to attend due to the virus, we completely understand.

We are hoping things subside over the next 30 days. If you have already purchased tickets to the event and are unable to attend the new date, you can get a full refund, or you can choose to donate your ticket fee to the Center.

The last weekend of April is often a busy time with graduation/moving weekend, but we hope you can squeeze us in! This new date is also right before our busy season, so funds to support our baby season will truly be needed. If you’d like, you can always donate via PayPal Giving or order an item from our Amazon Wish List instead.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding at this time. We want to make sure everyone is staying safe! If you have any questions, please feel free to email