We have filled our internship positions for the 2017 season.
The Bird Center of Washtenaw County, Inc. is seeking paid and unpaid interns for very late April or early May through August.
The Center is located in the Ann Arbor Area. We are currently accepting applications. For an application or more information, call (734) 761-9640 and leave a message or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Previous animal experience desired, but not necessary.
In 2014, we admitted almost 1,000 birds of approximately 65 different species. We handle songbirds and provide emergency care for waterfowl. Raptors are given emergency care and sent to other rehabilitators. Interns will be supervised by Carol Akerlof who holds both Michigan DNR and U.S. Fish and Wildlife permits for rehabilitation of birds.
Part time and full time internships require a commitment of 21.5 and 36.25 hours a week, respectively. Both will be paid $8.90/hour. Shifts for interns will be 7 a.m. to 2:15 p.m. for one shift and 1:45 p.m. to 9 p.m. for the later shift. Usually an intern would work one shift per day. This is a four month commitment. We operate seven days a week. There is a one week probationary period.
Duties of Interns:
- Feeding baby songbirds of many different species.
- Teaching fledglings to self feed on natural food items (this includes live mealworms).
- Cleaning of bird housing and the center.
- Administering medications and other treatments to injured birds.
- Answering telephone calls from the public in a professional manner (we will train you).
- Accepting birds from the public and obtaining the legally required information.
- Entering rescue and injury information into national wildlife rehabilitation database.
- Possibly going out on rescue missions.
- Possibly taking birds to veterinarians.
What you will learn includes:
- Bird anatomy
- Proper housing and diets for various species and how to feed them
- Signs of illness in birds, starvation, head injuries, etc.
- How to check for possible fractures
- How to measure and administer medications
- How to weigh and handle birds
For health and safety reasons, interns must be in good health, not pregnant, at least 18 years of age, and have a healthy immune system. Non-smokers are desired.
WE HAVE FILLED OUR INTERNSHIP POSITIONS FOR THE 2017 SEASON.
To apply for our summer internship program:
‐ Download and complete the application form — Microsoft Word or PDF
‐ Email the completed form to email@example.com or mail to the Bird Center of Washtenaw County, P.O. Box 3718 Ann Arbor, MI 48106